Sunday, March 29, 2009

First Spring Paddle On Nine Mile



Could this be the hill where Rhoda Loomis had her parties?


Bill with his Nine Mile Swamp Souvenir! A beaver chewed branch!

March 28th was a beautiful day and Nine Mile was Busy. I counted five canoeists and 4 kayakers including Bill and I. The canadian geese and the wood land ducks were nesting all along the shores of the swamp. They weren't to happy with us of course not knowing that we meant them no harm. It was a little erie listening to the trumpet like honking reverberating through out the leafless trees. Bill and I counted 3 productive beaver dams. You could also see where the beavers, when the swamp was frozen, would go out on the ice a trim up the hanging branches like little barbers trimming up bangs! I love nine mile swamp and its so interesting to see it in all the different seasons. In a few months there will be growth 8 feet high along the shore with all kinds of water lilies, dog wood and other plants which will block the view inland.
The waters were clear and cold with a pretty strong current kayaking out. The way back was much quicker of course going with the flow. I think we were out at least three hours. Every time I kayak Nine Mile I can't help but get sucked into the long ago life of the Loomis Gang. This spring kayak with all the plant life still struggling to grow allowed me to look into the woods and imagine where these rowdy cowboys hid the stolen horses. The swamp is actually a lake silted in so the surrounding are pretty flat and surrounded by a sparse population of homes and farms so its pretty quiet. You can hear cars on Route 12 in the distance. Other than that its mother nature in its finest. God's Pocket as Anna La Bastille would say. A penny for my thoughts

No comments: