Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Very Lucky Wood Stove Dude

Bill and I finally decided to go back to burning wood. The pellet stove was on its last leg and I was not thrilled with the weak, sputtering, pellet flame. In order to feel any immediate warmth you had to stand right up to the stove. So the bags of wood pellets over the shoulder for Bill, anyway is over. Back to Country Cubbie in Oneonta! After researching a few of the contained outdoor wood burning units which pump out a lot of pollution and are quite pricey. We decided on the Vermont Castings, Encore model 1450 non-catalytic wood burning stove and in bisque if I might add. Our house has never been warmer! 
It was quite a job tho getting the old stove out, and installing the new chimney liner. We had two young huskey dudes over to do the work. The one dude's name is Shane and I remember that cause he fell off my roof from just about the highest peak and walked away with no more than a bruise.
Ten minutes before he climbed the ladder and knowing that it had snowed making the new metal roof extremely slippery. I told the two dudes that maybe today wasn't the day to install the stove as I would feel horrible if any accidents happened. 
They both huffed right up and assured me that my metal roof wasn't the first metal roof they had been on and that neither of them were planning on any long term vacations. Ok! Well there I had it! I was excited to get the stove in. So on they went in the task of installing the stove.  
Several minutes later the other dude came to the kitchen and apologized for being a pain, and would I move my ca-BAM! BAM! BAM! Ba Ba Bam! I ran out of the kitchens back door in time to see Shane hit the pavement on his right side!
I FREAKED! He got up and walked away. 
What a stove dude! He also took the mirror off from my car on the way down. Not that it matters. I wanted to give him a beer or something but still wanted the stove in and knew that someone still had to climb the ladder.

They ended up completing the job and I'm in love with my stove!

No comments: