Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Old Brown Homestead

After recording the Crackle radio show and since we were in Bill's family's neck of the woods we went exploring to find the farm Bill's grandparents had back in the 40's and 50's. We found it! A lovely and well maintained farm on Rose Brook Road. I was in awe of this fairy farm heaven tucked away on the edge of the Catskill mountains. I got a head full of stories as Bill recalled playing basketball in the huge attic of the two family home. Of his grandmother picking mushrooms in the field across the road from the house and how her husband marveled at the fact that no one got sick and died eating the mushrooms as his wife, Katherine knew nothing about them. Bill remembers many summers where they hayed the fields with horse drawn carriages and fishing from a bridge not far down a corderoy road. Those were the days. And now here I am blogging about two people who lived off the land nearly 80 years later. Two people I've never met who have inspired me in the life they lived as told by their grandson, my husband Bill. I'm sure they never would of dreamed in a million years that pictures of their farming hay day would be viewed in cyber-space. Their names, proof they lived, carved on the tombstone of their joint grave.

No comments: