Monday, March 4, 2013

A Three Gigabyte Weekend

Oh this frustrating, forever undependable music scene. Feast or famine. Honestly, I wish I could wash from my hands the desire to play out, the need to haul music equipment, the thrill of the drive for however many miles to god only knows where, to play sometimes for people who sometimes don't give a rats ass about music. But I can't. Having played three gigs in a row last weekend I figured I played roughly 10 hours and drove for about 5 hours to make 450 dollars with another 50 in tips...isn't bad...especially for Central New York. It would of taken me double that in time bartending or waitressing, on my feet, shouldering heavy trays and dealing with screaming chefs to make the same amount of money...(In CNY mind you). I'd much rather sit and play. Last weekend I had totally appreciative listeners, clappers, whistlers and tippers. I love my music! Friday night was the Georgetown Inn...a very seasonal, hit or miss but local gig. I was ready to pack it up early when a table of snowmobilers, 9 in all filed in for a fish fry. They were very jovial content for being in Georgetown instead of the chaos of New Jersey. They loved my cover song choices and tipped awesomely! Saturday was a different night altogether. The Wigwam in Forestport, a tiny log cabin tavern with the butt end of a prop plain sticking out of it's roof. Snowmobile heaven with the best food! It was a little over and hour to get there in a sleety rain down pour. Long night. The locals enjoyed my music and described my sets as ...relaxing. I think they are more into karaoke type, loud rock stuff. Those days of course are long over for me. I don't think I'll be back there. My Sunday gig at the Hotel Solsville made up for the wiggies of wam ha ha. In Solsville, I know the locals and it's only a 20 minute ride from my house. They will be doing music on Sundays and I will be back there. When Monday finally rolled around I was all gigged out and I happily after I laughed...all the way to the bank.

No comments: